Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Avocado Milkshake


love avocados.  Although I've never had an avocado milkshake before, I really wanted to try it by making some at home.  After doing some research online on it, I found that the main ingredients are: avocado, milk, sweetened condensed milk, and ice. The amount of milk and condensed milk you add is really up to you.  For my milkshake, I made mine fairly light tasting - not too sweet (although I did add quite a bit of condensed milk compared to some recipes), refreshing, with a subtle grassy/avocado taste = yummy!  To intensify the grassy flavour, let the milkshake sit in the fridge for about 10 minutes before drinking.

My recipe for an avocado milkshake (serves 1):

1/2 Ripe Avocado (skin removed)
50 mL (3 Tbsp + 1 tsp) Sweetened condensed milk
60 mL (4 Tbsp) Partly skimmed milk
Roughly 3/4 cups Ice cubes

1) In a blender, blend all ingredients until smooth. 
2) Taste and adjust by adding more condensed milk or skimmed milk as needed. 
3) Pour into a tall cup and enjoy! 

There are other variations of this avocado milkshake that I'll be trying in the near future such as adding chocolate syrup, using coconut milk, or adding vanilla extract.  Very exciting!  I should really go get myself an authentic avocado milkshake one day so I know what it's supposed to really taste like...

May 2, 2010 - UPDATE:

I ordered an avocado milkshake over the weekend at a Vietnamese restaurant and I have to say, I do prefer my version more.  The one I had at the restaurant was still pretty good.  It had a really nice avocado flavour, but it was way too thick (could barely suck it up through my straw) and could have used a bit more sweetened condensed milk.  A friend of mine claims his is really good too, so he said he'll make one for me one day.  MMM..can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment