Monday, April 19, 2010

Chili Chocolate Cookies



I love baking cookies. Been baking cookies since I was about 8 years old, but for some reason, I feel that after moving into my current house 10 years ago, my cookies haven't been turning out so great. Even the Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe that I started baking with doesn't taste the same. For years, I've been using all sorts of cookie recipes without one that really made me feel like no changes were needed and I would actually bake them again, that is until today.

My younger sister, we'll call her Little-J, introduced me to Food Wishes. They have a channel on Youtube and a blog,
http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/. She really wanted to try their Chili Chocolate Cookies, and for weeks she's been asking me when I'd actually make them for her. Today was the day. I finally came around to it and the results were De-lish. I have to say, it's a pretty darn good recipe. The texture of it is right up my alley - moist and chewy, very much like fudge. The taste, it's definitely yum-in-my-tum. Although there is chili in the cookies, it's not spicy. As Chef John said in his video for these cookies, the spices enhance the chocolatiness of these cookies.


You should know though, my cookies didn't quite exactly turn out the way Michele's (Chef John's wife) cookies turned out. Her cookies did come out looking wet, but also plump. Mine were flat and dry-looking (had a paper-thin film on top, like a brownie). Possible reasons for this may be: 
1. When heating the chocolate, I left the bowl of melted chocolate over the pot of steaming water (heat turned off though) and so when it came to pouring it into the egg mixture, it was still really hot. Luckily, it didn't seem to cook the eggs.
2. I used a light coloured, insulated cookie sheet (lined with parchment paper).
3. The batter when scooped onto the baking sheet was very thin, moreso than Michele's batter. The batter spread on the pan as if it was pancake batter.
4. Baked for 12 minutes, exactly. May have needed to bake for less time, since the batter spread quite a bit before putting it into the oven. Although, the next time I bake them, I would still bake them for 12 minutes, since I like how they turned out.
All in all, I'd make them again exactly the way I did.




I definitely recommend you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment